You, me, and god
For leaders age 13+ years
14-17th January 2021
Arrival Time: 3pm Thursday 14th January 2021
(Pickups from 1.30pm – limited rides available from Whangarei city area)
Departure Time: 6pm Sunday 17th January 2021
HOLYground Parua Bay Christian Youth Haven: 1 Wharf Road Parua Bay
This camp is free thanks to Breakaway School Holiday Programmes.
What you should know:
Leading at a HOLYground Kids Camp is heaps of fun, but it’s not always easy!! We are looking for enthusiastic young Christians who are FAT - faithful, available and teachable. We are looking for young people who want to serve and give, who want to learn, who want to be challenged and to grow in their faith while sharing that faith with others. We are looking for young people who are good role models – who are committed to doing life with Jesus at camp, and also at home, school and online. We are looking for leaders who want to learn to do the boring, hard jobs, even when they’re tired, and even when God is the only one who sees. And for leaders who want to learn to love kids the way Jesus does. Could God be calling you to serve at HOLYground?
At HOLYground, we are passionate about growing young Christian leaders. We are interdenominational, representing many different churches.
We need Christian leaders who can kick a ball, play a guitar, do a jigsaw, run to the wharf, pick up dirty plates, reassure a homesick 8 year old, explain the gospel to a 12 year old, clean a toilet, motivate a team to complete a challenge, mediate an argument, pray for a kid with big issues, serve afternoon tea, lead a kayak expedition, dance for joy – basically, leaders who are willing for God to use whatever He has given them, with His help, for His glory!!
We welcome applications to serve at our camps. Determining our leadership team involves a mixture of prayer, looking at age/gender/experience/maturity of applicants and campers, as well as how early the application was received. All new leaders and adult helpers require completion of a police check as well as submission of a written reference and testimony as part of the application process.
What should you bring to camp?
- Old clothes including something warm
- Old closed-in shoes (for health and safety in the kitchen and in the bush)
- Footwear to protect your feet while on the beach
- Sleeping bag or blankets, sheet, pillow
- Sunhat, togs and towel – modest sun-smart swimwear essential. Please bring a shirt/shorts.
- Personal toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste), any required medication (with instructions for use)
- Bible if you have one
- Baking for the kitchen
Please label your stuff - it makes it much easier to work out whose is whose if things get mixed up!! Please leave behind phones/electronic devices/money/junk food/ valuables/girlfriends/
While we attempt to cater for a basic range of dietary needs, it is very helpful if campers with particularly restrictive requirements are able to support our hard-working cooks by supplying some of their own food. Please indicate any dietary needs at registration, and if these are complex we will give you a call to discuss the planned menu.
Need a ride? If you are unable to arrange transport for yourself to/from camp, our volunteers may be able to pick up /drop off a limited number of people from within Whangarei city. Please indicate on the registration form if you need transport, and be ready at the address provided from 1.30pm. Please advise us if no longer needing a ride to save a wasted trip.
Visiting? Parents are welcome to visit during camp. Please introduce yourself to a leader on arrival and sign the visitors book.
Rules: We need you to come prepared to be faithful, available and teachable in all aspects of camp. Understand that leading a camp takes a whole team effort and you are a valuable part of that.
At camp we aim for there to be no swearing, bullying, fighting, name-calling, threatening, stealing or lying. Please leave bad attitudes, expensive or electronic equipment (phones, ipads, electronic games, cameras), money, and junk food all at home – we can’t take responsibility for them if they go missing. You will survive without them for a few days! Also, while it goes without saying, please don't bring knives or weapons, drugs, alcohol or cigarettes of any sort to camp.
Parents, please encourage your child to speak with a leader should they have any worries during camp. Please be aware that campers who are impacting negatively on others’ experience may be asked to return home.
Want to find out more? Check out our website for more information - leave a contact number via the contact us page if you'd like one of our leadership team to give you a call. Or you can email direct to NEMHOLYground@gmail.com. Or phone Gary Kessell on 022 456 4279 (camp administrator)
How to apply:
1. Complete registration form at the bottom of the page
Or click on, download, print, complete and send this registration form to Gary Kessell, 64 West View Crescent, Onerahi, Whangarei
2. Approach someone to be your prayer partner (someone who will pray for you while you serve at camp – other than your parents!)
3. If not completed within the last year, please send through to :
- A written testimony (your faith journey - what God has done and is doing in your life)
- An explanation for why you would like to come to camp
- A few thoughts around what the term 'servant leadership' means and looks like to you
4. If a First time leader, please download the First Time Leaders Referee Form from the website, ask a youth leader/pastor/teacher/employer to complete, and return to
5. If you are aged 18+ and you have not completed a police check in the past 3 years for HOLYground, you will need to complete section 2 and 3 of a police check form which we will send to you, and email it to email@example.com. You will also need to complete verification of identity as described in the form (bring photo ID to camp).
We reserve the right to decline any applicants who do not submit required documentation with sufficient time for reference and police checks to be completed prior to camp.
A registration confirmation email will be sent to the address provided to acknowledge if you have been accepted to lead at camp or not - please follow up if you haven't heard from us within a week. Please know that leadership positions at camp are limited, and not simply on a first-in first-served basis, although early applications are very much appreciated!!
Applications close 10th January.
If aged under 16, you will need a parent/guardian to complete the registration online with you.
If circumstances change after you've completed the form, please let us know so your spot can go to someone else on the waiting list.